Monday, July 13, 2009

Peanut Butter/Butterfinger Brownies

I have been thinking that this would be a good combination for quite a while, and had decided that I would make it for 4th of July. Then, our June Betty Crocker calendar had a very similar recipe, but did not have the Butterfinger. These were inspired by my mint brownies that I make.

1 brownie mix, prepared according to package directions for 9x13 size
Most of a container of peanut butter
1 12.5 oz bag of Fun Size Butterfinger Bars
1/2 pkg of chocolate chips
2 Tbsp butter or margarine

Let prepared brownies cool completely. Unwrap all Butterfinger bars and put them in a plastic bag. Using your meat tenderizer, crush all the Butterfingers. Pour Butterfingers into a bowl and then mix in peanut butter until you are happy with the consistency. I used up the remainder of a jar that we had opened and eaten maybe 2 PB&J sandwiches out of. It was a pretty thick consistency. Spread Butterfinger/Peanut butter mixture on top of brownies. Using a double boiler, melt chocolate chips and butter together. Let it cool just a little and then spread over the top of the Butterfinger/Peanut butter layer. Cover and put in the fridge until the top layer is solid. I usually prepare these the day before. I removed them by sliding a butter knife around the edge of my pan, then, I turned them out on top of a sheet of aluminum foil then I covered my cutting board with aluminum foil and flipped them right side up. I cut them into squares by doing 6 x 8 squares.

Options: You can probably use a package or two of full size bars and save yourself some time. I didn't know how many I'd need, so that's why I got the small ones. I usually get a brownie mix that doesn't stay really soft and squishy because they are harder to cut.

These were a hit at our recent family event and have been requested to make an encore at our next event by Daddy. So, that's a definite plus.

Sorry, no pictures. I wasn't thinking, obvi.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

YUM! You have some delicious brownie variations posted! Sound so good!

Midlife Mom said...

Oh those sound sooooooo good!!! I am just gaining way too much weight from all the wonderful recipes that I have obtained from fellow bloggers! Those I must try!!

I enjoyed your slide show around the pool on the 4th. What a great time! It was freezing cold here so we didn't go to the lake but it was nice last weekend so we did but I still haven't been in swimming in the lake, just the pool, and heated thank-you-very- much. lol!

Thanks for another great recipe! xoxox