Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sloppy Cheeseburgers

Sloppy Cheeseburgers
Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
2 cans diced tomatoes, drained (I would start with 1 can and see if that's enough for you, then open the second if you need more)
onion to taste (or onion powder)
1-2 tsp. minced garlic (or garlic powder)
½ - ¾ lb cheddar cheese, cubed

Method:

Brown ground beef with onion and garlic, drain. Add tomatoes and allow it to all cook down (maybe 10 minutes or so). Place cheese cubes on top of mixture and allow it to melt (it will melt faster if you put a lid on it). Serve over toasted hamburger buns or toasted loaf bread.
NOTE> This is a recipe that my mom used to make all the time for us. Daddy loves it (he does it all up with diced onions, ketchup, and mustard, but I think that it is perfect without all that stuff). So, I don't know if she made it up or got the recipe from somewhere. I love sharp cheddar cheese, but Scott thinks that it's too overpowering, so I use medium cheddar. This truly is a 30 minute meal (or less). It does not take long at all!
I'm sorry I don't have a picture to post with it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy!! I think Robert might even eat it if I scoop out some before I put the cheese and then everyone else would eat it with the cheese. I think I might try this for dinner tonight. I have to go to the grocery store for milk anyway. Thanks!! Hope your first day at your new job went well.
Tracy

Marcy said...

Hey Tracy! Please let me know if it was a winner at the dinner table tonight! I had a good first day!
Marcy

Chrissy said...

Thanks, I will try this and let you know what the kiddies think.

Chrissy said...

I made this last night and the kids loved it. I changed the recipe a little by adding tomato sauce instead of a second can of diced tomatoes(mainly because the only other can of tomatoes I had was the type with green peppers and onions - not a favorite of my kiddies) It turned out really well. Thanks for the recipe. I am going to post a blog about it with pics. On another note, can you use corn tortillas in the flying saucers or do they have to be flour? Thanks again so much!

Marcy said...

I could have sworn I typed a reply to you on here earlier, Christina, but it isn't here now. I am really glad that y'all tried the Sloppy Cheeseburgers and liked it! I don't know about the corn tortillas because I personally do not like them. I just don't know if they would get all puffed up and crunchy like the flour ones do. If you try them, let me know what you think!