Friday, August 28, 2009

Kicked Up Pimiento Cheese


On the 4th of July, I made this pimiento cheese. I had promised to post it on my blog so that everyone could have the recipe...then I got busy and forgot. Amy reminded me the other day, so here it is.

This recipe is an Emeril recipe that a man I used to work with at Pike made, but with some "tweaks" (which are in italics). He used 6-8 jalapenos with the seeds, but I only use 2 and I take the seeds out. You just buy a baguette from the grocery store and slice it up. Smear some of this on it and it is a yummy appetizer.
I found an old picture of the pimiento cheese spread on baguettes and decided to include it. It's Yum-O!

Kicked Up Pimiento Cheese

8 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 lb extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, grated (if you can't find it, use orange)
1/2 lb extra sharp orange cheedar cheese, grated
8 oz. roasted red bell peppers, chopped
3/4 c mayonnaise
1 c. spicy ham - I used deli pepperoni
1/2 c. chopped green onions
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp Essence of Emeril (recipe follows)
salt & pepper (optional)

added:
2-3 fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped (I take the seeds out, but if you want more heat, leave them in there)
1/2 lb pepper jack cheese

In a large skillet, cook the bacon until brown and crisp. Transfer to paper towels and cool.

In a large bowl (very large), combine all ingredients.

I never feel like it gets mixed up enough when I just use a spoon to mix it up, so I put it in a food processor. Mine is kind of small, so it takes several batches.

Essence of Emeril

2 1/2 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp dried leaf oregano
1 Tbsp dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container. Yields about 2/3 c.

3 comments:

Midlife Mom said...

Oh my, that sounds so good! I have never made anything like that before. I'd probably eat the whole thing!

How did you save so much at the grocery store?

Congrats on the weight loss! I so need to do something about all this extra weight that I am lugging around but I just can't seem to get motivated for more then a day or two. I love to cook and so I eat it! Sigh....

I bought the coneflowers and brown eyed Susan's at the nursery a long time ago and they have just spread and spread! I love it cause I can dig up the new ones and plant them in different places around the yard. They are very hardy and don't seem to mind our cold winters. The coneflowers come in a good variety of colors too.

Amy said...

Thanks dude!! See ya tomorrow!

- A

Andysbethy said...

Sounds interesting. I just made bacon this morning, and have leftovers and I think I have everything else except the ham (which I can do without anyway). I may have to try this recipe tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!