Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Stuffed Green Bell Peppers

I found this recipe in a book that a friend lent to me. I copied a bunch of the recipes I liked. I don't remember the name of the book. However, I have changed the recipe some because, well, it seems like I always change up the recipes. I just can't help myself. We have made this twice and I really like it. The instructions in the recipe actually call for microwaving everything, but that just seems...gross. So, I have re-written this to be cooked in the oven.

Stuffed Green Bell Peppers

3 large green bell peppers
1 lb ground chuck, browned and drained
2 c. cooked rice (I used white rice)
3/4 t ground thyme
1 clove minced garlic (I used the kind in the jar, it's easier)
1/8 t black pepper
1 t salt
1 egg
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce, divided (I actually used two small cans - one plain, one flavored, like Italian or roasted garlic
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes

Preheat oven to 350 while you brown your meat and cook your rice. Clean the peppers and cut in half lengthwise. Place them open side up in a 9x13 casserole dish and cook the empty peppers for about 12-15 minutes. In a mixing bowl, combine beef, rice, seasonings, egg, diced tomatoes, and the small can of plain tomato sauce (or half of the big can). Mix well and fill pepper halves with the beef mixture. Place in baking dish and spoon the flavored tomato sauce (or second half of big can) over the stuffed peppers. Cook for another 15 minutes or until the peppers are to your preferred doneness. Serves 6.

This has a lot of vegetable already in it, as well as meat and a starch. But, I still think it is better it you have something with it like corn and a salad (yeah, I know that corn is a second starch, but it just GOES with this meal). I hope you enjoy! If you try this and you like it, let me know!

2 comments:

Muddled Mama said...

It sounds yummy. The recipe I use doesn't use egg. I'll have to try that. To me stuffed peppers don't seem right unless you serve them with mashed potatoes. That's what my mom always made.

Sherri

Marcy said...

I would have never thought to have mashed potatoes with them, Sherri, but now I think we'll have to try that. Thanks!