Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Savings?

I have decided that we need to do better with using coupons, etc...

So, I have discussed the best ways to save with Shana and to also keep from going insane from feeling like I have to go 15 places every time I grocery shop. There is this website called couponmom.com and it lets you search for you grocery store and it will list all the best deals from their circular for the week and which coupons are still valid for those deals. It tells you based on which coupon book from which Sunday's paper. So, it's very helpful. Lots of people say that Kroger doubles coupons, but I don't think I got any double coupons last night, so that is a little confusing. Well, we spent an hour and a half at the grocery store. This is why we have never been good with coupons and shopping deals. It takes too long. But, I am told that once you get used to it, you get a method and it is easier. Let's hope so. We spent about $155 but we saved (if you include coupons and the "Kroger plus card savings" which are a scam anyway) about $43. We did buy some things because they were on sale. Like, they have coke products 3 12-packs for $12, which isn't the cheapest you can usually get them, but if you bought 3 12-packs, you get 2 free boxes of Ritz crackers. Both of those are staple items in our house. I got the whole wheat ones, which I didn't know existed until Bethany told me about them, and they are really good and better for you! And, believe it or not, we bought all "zero" products and nothing with sugar. But, of course, we already had plenty of that at home anyway. I also found this website where you can download coupons automatically to your shopper's card. I loaded all of mine to my Kroger Plus Card because that is where I shop the most often. The website is shortcuts.com. I actually used more of those coupons than I did any others.

I just need to learn to work the system by buying things at their lowest cost and combining that sale with the manufacturers coupon and the store coupons to get them almost free. One of these days...

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I love coupons!!

Anonymous said...

I was looking your friend coupon Callie's website and she mentioned Big1 in one of her blogs that she gets a lot of coupons. Do you know anything about that? Her blog won't let an anonymous person send a message. I'm trying to get better at using coupons and combining them with sales too.

Tracy

Carrie said...

Hey, don't smack talk the kroger plus card savings! ha ha! $1.99/lb for boneless skinless chicken is a bonus card price and it is an AWESOME price!!!! Every savings amount counts!
Also, with coupons, the more you accumulate the bigger your savings will be, so don't give up. In a month or so you will have weeks worth of stockpiled coupons to use and you will end up using more!!!
Yay for you!

Anonymous said...

Check out econobusters.com There are some great ideas on there.

Anonymous said...

I have also been trying to learn the "system" lately and having some luck with it. It's kind of like a game :) Good luck and keep sharing your tips!
Lindsey

Shana Stringer said...

Great comments on this post. Remember that they only double coupons up to 50 cents. So if you have a 55 cent coupon and up that wont get doubled. If you still think it didn't work, call the store and ask them their policy on doubling coupons. It will get easier I promise you. I agree with the other posters too, it is like a game, or for me like a hunt. And when I get home with all my prey, I relish, take pictures, and post it on my blog.

Marcy said...

Tracy - why don't you just create a blogger name then you can comment on anyone's. I don't know anything about the Big1, but are you sure she didn't say b1b1 which stands for Buy 1 Get 1 Free?

Thanks for all the comments. I'll have to check out the new websites.

Just for clarity, I am not knocking the low prices I get with the Kroger plus card, I just think it is a scam that I have to have a card to get savings. You know they sell my address to all the junk mail people...erg! A big part of our purchase on Tues. was the $1.99/lb chicken!

Andysbethy said...

I am a big coupon girl... have been for years. I think I took over the coupon clipping for my mom when I was about 14, and have never quit!
It gets easier, and you learn the in and outs. Plus, you learn what you actually use, and need to cut out coupons for (or download coupons for) and it gets less cluttered the longer you do it. There are coupons out there for the "healthy" stuff too - you just have to look harder.
Make it a game - try to "beat your record" - that lightens the mood! Have fun.

Unknown said...

I don't know if anyone shops at walmart, but I have been having a hard time lately with them not taking my coupons printed off the web... has anyone else had these problems? I used to use quite a few coupons from smartsource.com that I can't use now that walmart has started their new "rule".

Anonymous said...

Marcy- I went back and looked and it was B1G1 which when I read it quickly I thought it said Big1. Thanks for the clarification.

Tracy